Friday, August 20, 2010

I serve a God of COMPASSION! A God who is MIGHTY TO SAVE! A God who can perform MIRACLES! A God who is ALIVE! A God that breathes LIFE into death….

48 hours ago I was holding a child who was unconscious; a small, bony little girl who was barely breathing. A child that had been neglected for so many years, that she was literally starving to death. A girl who was dying because for the past 10 years she’s been hungry….and had no food.

48 hours ago, I felt sure that Nabakoza was going to be with Jesus. That at any moment she would leave this earth, headed to heaven where a heavenly host would welcome her with open arms. I was certain there was no way she could survive. How could she when no doctors would agree to treat her…? Each time another hospital refused to care for her, hope faded a little more.

48 short hours ago we were driving franticly through the city of Kampala, in the middle of the night; searching for anyone who would even give her a second glance. I was terrified. Hysterical. Sad. Angry. In one of our last attempts, I (along with Shana) ran into a hospital barefoot; carrying Nabakoza in my arms like a small infant. No one even looked up...and after sitting on a cold floor for over an hour, the Dr told me to leave her existing IV in and take her home. Take her home?

48 hours ago we drove back into Masese, pulled into our home…and I placed Nabakoza in her bed. We piled every blanket we had on her, and put boiling water in plastic bottles. I started her IV, then Shana and I sat…we cried. We prayed. We waited…

Today, Nabakoza is awake! She can sit up. She is eating small amounts of food and keeping it down! She can move a little bit, and make noises in response! Today Nabakoza is very much ALIVE!!!

Here in Uganda, malnutrition is a fact of life. It is real. It is part of life. And death happens every day as a result. It infuriates me that all over the world right now children are dying of starvation. I want to change it. I want to make it better. I want to “fix” it. And I can’t, but I know someone who can! I know someone who is BIGGER than the worlds hunger problem; someone who is so powerful, who breathes the breath of life. Life!


I know that Nabakoza is alive today because God decided to save her, what other explanation is there? It’s not because she received good medical care, or because of any medicine that was put into her body, she had neither of those things. No, God decided He’s not yet finished with her here on this earth. Even if that just means he wants to leave her here a few more days, He has a purpose. Maybe He just wanted to show off to the world; to proclaim his greatness to the nations. To help His children remember…to remember He IS mighty to save!

I serve a God of miracles. I and I just watched one unfold before my eyes!

Thanks to all for all your prayers and support!

And to Shana…”Thanks for walking beside me through thick and thin; I am incredibly blessed to have YOUas a sister in Christ. I love you! “

34 comments:

  1. In tears of praise... Thank you Lord for miracles!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing!! So very happy to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Praise God for this message. I have been praying and crying since yesterday. (And will continue) but to know that she is sitting some and eating some is such wonderful news. Praise God again and again. Please keep up updated. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praise Jesus! What a miracle! It just amazes me that Nabakoza was still alive when you found her! Her time on this earth is clearly not over yet - how marvelous God is!

    Blessings on you, Renee! What a gift God has given you to be there showing love to those that others would just ignore.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praise the LORD!! how amazing He is! I read about Nabakoza yesterday and started praying. What a wonderful God we serve! His mercy and love goes out into all the world. Love, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too prayed for this miracle! May God continue to show himself to us in a real way...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found your site here yesterday (through Katie's blog) and this story has weighed so very heavy on my heart. Praise God! is all I can say. Thank you, Renee, for being there for her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WONDERFUL!!! I have been praying for all of you, mostly this sweet young lady!!! PRAISE GOD!!!!! Continued prayers for continued healing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rene and Shana, Praise the Lord for your deligence and perserverence. You are in my prayers. I am so blessed to see this kind of ministry, one of my hearts disires. Praying, praying and praying.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing.. Our God is truly an awesome God, Will continue to pray for the people and children of Uganda.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am Amazed at what all God has used you to do in your ministry Renee. I cannot believe how she is doing with love and care. :*)
    Lynda Duke

    ReplyDelete
  12. On Christ the solid rock we stand.
    Thank you Lord for hearing our cries.
    Thank you for blessing us with Nabakoza.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank You Jesus! I fell asleep last night crying and praying for Nabakoza. What joy it is to read how God has been at work. God bless you, dear Renee.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for serving our Lord with your whole heart and your whole life. May we all be moved to do the same.

    Thanking God for His mercy on Nabakoza. He is the One who decides when we are born and when we die. He alone gives life and takes life away. May her life be a testimony to those who you sought help from and they had already given up.

    May God shower you with blessings.

    In Jesus,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been praying last night and this morning. PRAISE GOD. I have a huge smile on my face.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My Spirit is leaping and praising Him with you. I have been following this story and I am interceding for this sweet young woman. Praying with you and so thankful went looking for her and that you FOUND her and are taking care of her.
    Thank you Shana and Renee.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Praise the Lord! Thank you Renee for being a willing servant and that Jesus is able to be seen through you. May God Bless you ALL. Praying for all of the children. - Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  18. HALLELUJAH!!!! I have been praying and fasting for her today. So wonderful to read the latest update. I and my family will keep praying intensely for these sweet women!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. There is NO GOD like our God! Praying for your continued strength and perserverance as He lifts up your hands! WOW! Praising Him with you! Thank you for the awesome update!

    Hugs and love,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  20. Praise God! We will continue to pray for sweet Nabakoza.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you God! He IS Mighty to save! Continuing to pray for healing and soon a big smile from this precious daughter of the King!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Praise Jesus!!!I have been praying so hard and shedding many tears over Nabakoza and probably still will, but I am so, so happy to hear that our prayers are working!I am SO thankful that you and Shana are there as a tool for the Lord to use! I am most definitely praying hard for you, Shana and especially Nabakoza!

    Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Praise God! I am so grateful that she will be able to experience the love of Christ here on earth now! I have been anxiously checking your blog to see how she was and I can't wait to hear what happens next.

    ReplyDelete
  24. He is our prayer-hearing, miracle-working, mighty and compassionate King!

    "For He will deliver the needy when he cries for help. The afflicted also, and him who has no helper. He will have compassion on the poor and needy, and the lives of the needy He will save. He will rescue their life from oppression and violence; and their blood will be precious in His sight." (Psalm 72)

    Blessings to you,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a gift this story has been! I'm praying for Nabakoza, for all you ministering to her, and for all God's other children in need of a miracle. I'm sharing this story for the glory of our gracious God!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Our God is an awesome God, and He loves Nabakoza. Thank you for showing her that God loves her. Thank you for loving her. Praying!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Praise the Lord - thank you for sharing. I don't think I've seen your blog before, so I'll have to look around.

    With love in Christ,
    Joanne in MO

    ReplyDelete
  28. Praise God!! I just started following your blog and I love what you are doing! I'm praying for you and your ministry!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am praying for all of your efforts, and your continued safety, as you serve in Africa! What good news about Nabakoza!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am a friend of Katie's. Actually a friend, not just a stalker! :)

    I wanted to tell you of a quote I have memorized from Mountains Beyond Mountains, the book about Paul Farmer in Haiti. The Haitians have a saying that goes, "God gives but He doesn't share." It means that God has given us everything we all need (every soul on earth) to be healthy, happy, and well cared for. But he didn't distribute it equally, He has left that task to us. We are doing a miserable job of it so far, don't you think? We have more than ENOUGH for this young lady to be fed, healthy, and happy. And yet... thank you for doing what you're doing. It's a generation like you, and Katie, and others, that are going to change this world with God's help!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you God for your greatness, your miracle, your love, your gift of life to this one, your child.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Remy!
    Words cannot express how much I love you and your heart for Jesus!!! You continue to inspire and amaze me and I think of you SO often!! This story is incredible and I am so proud of you for constantly trusting in God's plans and for being so hugely obedient no matter what. My heart is bursting for you!!!
    I LOVE you and cannot wait to be back on Ugandan soil with you- I NEED to love on all of those beautiful children and give you insane amounts of hugs and just stare at you. Gosh I hope it's soon. I am blessed and honored to call you my friend. I will email SOON! I know you're busy so you don't even have to respond :) I MISS you like crazy! Oh, and I'm ready for CHOGM!
    Prayers and Hugs my sista in Christ!
    The New Mrs. Rachel Scott :)

    Also- HUGE hello and hugs to lovely Shana! Girl, you are so awesome! I'm praying for you and your heart as you prepare to eventually come back to Canada for school. I know lots of your heart is ALWAYS in Uganda. LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete