Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Dear friends,

I Beg you to join me on your knees in prayer tonight. My hear is breaking…I wrote this blog about a little girl named, Nabakoza this afternoon (though I never finished it), and at 7 this evening I rushed her to the hospital (s) in Kampala… we went to 4 different hospitals, and were told the same thing at each one “She is to critical; we cannot help her. You take her to a different hospital.” At 3am we had exhausted all of our options, and the Dr we were currently with told us to “Go home!” so we came back to Jinja…. She is now on an IV here and we are trying our best to keep her comfortable. PLEASE PLEASE PRAY for this little girl! That her pain would ease; that the Lord’s plan for her sweet little life will be accomplished. That through this her family would see HIM!

This is the story of Nabakoza…

After driving all morning, I approached a small; half collapsing hut…the home was littered with trash, animal waste, really everything else imaginable. I was unsure of what to think; my mind was reeling…just 2 days before, I had heard a horror story of what I was about to see, and I was still having a hard time wrapping my mind around it all. As I walked closer and closer a dread come over me, but also a strong desire to run as fast I could, to reach my destination with speed, to comfort those hurting; to fix the problem at hand. But I didn’t. I remained calm. I prayed.

When I reached the tiny home, I glanced inside the falling down doorway…and there is really no way to describe what was before my eyes. I don’t think I would have believed it if I had not seen it myself; what I was looking down at was unreal, unbelievable. Wrong. As my eyes adjusted to the dark I saw a little, skeleton of a child sitting on the dirt floor. Well, she was trying her best to sit up, but was failing miserably. She was naked and sitting in her own waste; it looked as if she hadn’t been bathed for weeks…in her hand she held an empty cup that she was ever so slowly tapping on the ground. When she saw movement, she slowly lifted her eyes, and when I saw a fear, death-like look in her eyes, I screamed inwardly. My heart stopped. In that moment I didn’t know what to do. She was just there, no one was caring for her, no one was feeding her, no one was even looking at her. And that is how Nabakoza has lived everyday for the past 23 years…until now.

As we waited for her mother to be found, we attempted to bath her with the small amount of water that was there. After she was semi clean I wrapped her up in a cloth, and held her like a baby. Within a few minutes she had fallen fast asleep in my arms. The man who brought us to Nabakoza’s home said “Ah, she is now experiencing comforts that she has never in her life felt before.”

I wanted to hold her tight, and never let go; to comfort her- “Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.” 2 Corinthians 1:3 & 4

I wanted her to know that she was loved, not only by me, but by a GREAT BIG HUGE God, and that He had not forgotten about her- “But the needy will not be forgotten, nor the hope of the afflicted ever perish.” Psalm 9:17.

I wanted her to know that He was coming to her rescue- “In you, O LORD, I have taken refuge; let me never be put to shame; deliver me in your righteousness. Turn your ear to me, come quickly to my rescue; be my rock of refuge, a strong fortress to save me.” Psalm 31:1 &2.

Sorry I can’t finish…there are to many tears...

3 comments:

  1. Hi, I found your blog through a friend. I just wanted to let you know that this girl (woman) is in my prayers tonight. My heart is overwhelmed with the suffering of these people and I so much wish that I could be there myself, as the hands of feet. However, I am thankful for people like you who are there for me, in my place. God has blessed you with sensitivity and love and it shall not go to waste. I will be praying throughout the night for Nebakoza. His mercies are new every morning. I am trusting they will be new for HER.

    ReplyDelete
  2. can't say too much because of the tears and emotions... but I am praying...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tears here too. I can hardly type. Please know that I will be praying. This part in your post really touched my heart to the core. Praise be to our Father in heaven for people like you - someone to comfort this girl/woman. I can only imagine the light that shined through the darkness as you entered the room she was in...

    "I wanted to hold her tight, and never let go; to comfort her- “Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.” 2 Corinthians 1:3 & 4"

    ReplyDelete